HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. HIV can be transmitted from an infected person through 5 body fluids:
- vaginal fluid
- breast milk
Young people are at particular risk for HIV. About half of all new HIV cases are among people under age 25.
There is no cure or vaccine for HIV, so protect yourself:
- Abstain from sex.
- If you do decide to have sex (oral, vaginal, or anal), always use a latex or polyurethane condom. Use only water-based lubricant (never oil or petroleum jelly).
- Talk to your sexual partner about HIV.
- Get tested. You can even get tested with your partner.
- Never share needles or syringes for drugs, steroids, tattoos, or piercings. If you get a tattoo or piercing, always go to a professionally licensed studio.
- Don't mix sex and drugs. Alcohol and drugs can impede your decision-making abilities or even inhibit your ability to use a condom correctly.