Four Loko Blamed for Another Death
On Saturday, February 18, Michael Truluck, 13, was hanging out with his friends like most Saturdays. This time, though, they had gotten an adult to buy them Four Loko, a high alcohol concoction that has been banned in four states and Baltimore City. The sweet drink has as much alcohol as four beers and many believe the fruity, carbonated flavors are especially appealing to younger drinkers. When drinking this mixture, people don’t always realize how much alcohol they’ve consumed and become very drunk, very fast. Michael’s friends said that he threw up twice before texting his family that he needed a ride home. His mother’s fiancé arrived to get him, but once in the truck, he felt sick again. Without warning, and with impaired judgment and balance, Michael opened the front door to throw up, fell out into the street and was hit by another car. He died. Since the alcohol content is so high in each drink, his body likely did not have time to get the message to slow down which is the usual way our brains prevent us from continuing to ingest more booze. Vomiting was his body’s way of trying to get rid of the overdose of alcohol.
Michael’s brain got tricked into drinking more and it had deadly consequences, maybe not the usual ones you think of like alcohol poisoning, but the result was the same. It’s a reminder that you don’t have to reach the point of passing out for drinking to be fatal.